Saturday, March 17, 2007

Did You Hear About Our Becoming Grandparents?

When our oldest had been married for several years people began asking us if we were ready to become grandparents. My wife's reply was always, "No, I'm not ready." I could not understand that because I was truly looking forward to the experience, after all, every one who is a grandparent is positively radiant when talking about their grandkids.

The evening our daughter called and announced that she was expecting, we rejoiced with her over the phone and assured her that we would come to see her (13 hours away by car), when we could get away.

A few minutes later I realized that my wife had been out of the room and very quiet for a rather long time. So I went looking for her. I found her on the floor at the foot of our bed, next to her opened cedar hope chest. That chest was absolutely full of items that she had been collecting for her grandbaby for years. I looked at her and said "you lied to everybody about not being ready to be a grandmother." She said "No, I did not, I was not ready. But NOW I am ready!"





Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe to spinayarn



No comments: