Saturday, April 28, 2007

Did You Hear About My Midlife Crisis?

Archie Brown remembers his midlife crisis:

I not a big car buff. I have always considered cars a tool. I usually drive relatively inexpensive cars. In 1984 I had a 79 Malibu four door sedan. It was fine for a 35 year old family man.

The auto makers reintroduced convertibles into their lines, after several years of moratorium. One day, while I was out running errands, I stopped at the Ford dealership so look at the new Mustang convertibles. I ended up buying one. That day! It was black, with gray interior, and a 5.0 liter engine.

I went by to show a neighbor and friend who also had a teenage daughter. Our girls played basketball together. While on a test drive, Bill said, “Let’s go by the high school and peel out!” We did!

Later I went to the school to pick up my daughter. When I pulled up, with the top down, she was standing in the same spot as always, talking to the same girls as always. She looked at the car, but did not recognize that it was me driving. When I honked and waved for her to come on, her jaw hit the sidewalk! She rushed to the car and got in. She was shocked that I had bought a car, especially a cool one.

My wife quietly shook her head in disbelief when she saw the car. She laughed when I decided that an afro hairdo would keep my hair from being wind blown while driving sans roof. But she said that it was a good thing that my midlife crisis led to an unexpected purchase of a Mustang convertible. She said a blond would have cost me a whole lot more!








Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe to spinayarn



No comments: